How does simple meal planning lead to building your daughter's confidence this time of year?
When you give her extra stability and little things to look forward to during her school week, it pays off. After working hard all day, she needs simple comfort to come home to. Choose consistent food themes to keep things easy on you and support her at the same time.
Get your daughter's help to choose the themes- but make sure it's food you like, too! Our Go Girl decided on these...
BREAKFAST EVERY SINGLE WEEK
- Mmm Good Monday: Yummy porridge to start off the week! Oatmeal, cream of wheat or overnight oats work great. Soak your old fashioned oats overnight in your favorite type of milk with a drizzle of maple syrup and top with any nuts or berries that your kids like. Change up: substitute maple syrup with a scoop of jam.
- Toasty Tuesday: Spread avocado on toast and don’t forget salt & pepper OR spread your favorite nut butter and top with fruits - funny faces optional.
- Waffle Wednesday: Heat up a frozen waffle with a smear of peanut butter, a drizzle of maple syrup and top with your kids' favorite fruit.
- Thursday Surprise: Put a small corn tortilla in your littlest frying pan, layer on a slice of cheese and crack an egg on top. Add a dash of salt & pepper, cover and cook until the egg is however you kid likes it and the cheese is melted.
- Freaky Friday: Put out a couple kinds of cereal and a mug. Have your kiddo scoop their cereal using the mug (mix and matching flavors is great). Why the mug? It is the best way to drink your milk down at the end. Put out a bowl of whatever fruit is in the house.
DINNER EVERY SINGLE WEEK
- Meatless Monday: Greek salad, lentil soup, OR mac-n-cheese with broccoli are all fav's in our house
- Taco Tuesday: Pre-marinated steak, pre-made coleslaw, favorite salsa, Greek yogurt and grape tomatoes in bowls
- We-Love-Pasta Wednesday: Classic spaghetti and meatballs, tortellini salad with veggies or bow-tie pasta with chicken and broccoli are easy and good.
- Chicken Thigh Thursday: Using any chicken of any kind, rice and veggies. Better yet, get a pre-made rotisserie chicken
- Family Pizza Night: Frozen pizza, pizza delivery or make your own on pre-made crust.
These meals are what our daughter loves and literally cheers about at the dinner table. And yep, we keep these same themes week after week. Too much predictability for you? Weekends are a great time to change things up so that you don’t get too bored. Remember, a new school year is what's blowing her mind and creating all the excitement. Food at home can be comforting and plentiful.
Borrow our themes or make-up your own as a family!
Download our free Meal Plan Calendar by clicking the image below...
Receive all 25 Tips for Kicking the School Year Off With Confidence straight to your email!